Five 5-year Research Fellowships at the Zukunftskolleg
(100%, E 14 TV-L)
Reference Number 2019/154. The preferred start date is April 1st, 2020. In principle, the position can be divided into two half-time positions.
The University of Konstanz is one of Germany's Universities of Excellence: It was successful in all three funding lines of the German Excellence Initiative and has also been competing successfully in both funding lines of its successor programme, the Excellence Strategy, since 2018.
The Zukunftskolleg is a central research institution of the University of Konstanz for early career researchers in the natural sciences, humanities and social sciences. It is an integral component of the university's strategy "creative.together". The Zukunftskolleg promotes interdisciplinary discourse between distinguished researchers from Germany and abroad, and provides them with the resources to conduct their research independently and free from administrative constraints. The working language is English.
These Fellowships are available to researchers characterized by a strong and creative mind, an ability to think and communicate beyond their own disciplines, regardless of their nationality. The applications are evaluated in a three-stage process by international reviewers. The personal assessment of the finalists will take place at a Workshop on Future Directions, to be held at the University of Konstanz in February 2020.
- develop and implement your research project
- build up your own research group
- you are expected to participate actively in the regular weekly meetings and to contribute to the Zukunftskolleg in creating a team of exciting interdisciplinary postdoctoral researchers
have your place of residence in Konstanz and the surroundings
- you should be in possession of a doctoral degree granted between October 16, 2014 and December 31, 2019. Earlier graduation dates can be accepted in case of maternity/paternity leave, or working contracts outside academia
you should not hold a permanent professorship, or have a habilitation or equivalent (Venia legendi)
- Applicants must have applied for a research group grant of at least 50,000 € or an equivalent amount of funding. This external grant should be used for their research while at the Zukunftskolleg, and should be obtained in a competitive process. A Fellowship offer is conditional on the approval of the external grant application. The grant may cover the candidate's own position, if it can be transferred to Konstanz
Applicants must propose a research project that ties in with a discipline represented at the University of Konstanz. Applicants should contact potential Local Academic Partners among the researchers at the University of Konstanz in order to ensure appropriate affiliation. Support from a department strengthens the application
All these requirements have to be fulfilled at the application deadline (October 15, 2019)
International experience in teaching or research, and a strong interest in interdisciplinary topics are desirable
- a professional infrastructure and an appropriate workplace for conducting research
Start-up Funding and an individual Research Allowance
- access to a pool for funding cooperative projects, research assistants, travel, and equipment purchases
- funds for mutual research visits to international collaborators
- the possibility of attracting senior research partners to Konstanz through the senior fellowship and the mentorship program
- double affiliation to both a university department and the Zukunftskolleg
- the opportunity to benefit from a variety of career development measures, including the University of Konstanz’s Academic Staff Development and Research Support offices
- no teaching obligation, but an opportunity to do so in collaboration with your department at the University of Konstanz
- an international and interdisciplinary community of peers
More information on the Zukunftskolleg and current Fellows, as well as a special section devoted to the application and selection process (online application process, required documents, guidelines on eligibility, evaluation criteria, the timeline and the stages of the selection process) are available on our website at: https://www.uni-konstanz.de/zukunftskolleg/ .
All applications and supporting materials (letter of motivation, research proposal, curriculum vitae, writing sample and two letters of reference) must be submitted in English via the Online Application Platform including reference number
2019 / 154 at: https://www.uni-konstanz.de/zukunftskolleg/online-application/.
Questions can be directed to Anda Lohan via e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. We look forward to receiving your application until
15 October 2019, 11:00 am (Konstanz time).
Persons with disabilities are explicitly encouraged to apply. They will be given preference if appropriately qualified (contact + 49 7531 88–4016). The University of Konstanz is committed to ensuring an environment that provides equal opportunities and promotes diversity as well as a good balance between university and family life. As an equal opportunity employer, we strive to increase the number of women working in research and teaching. We also support working couples through our dual career programme (https://www.uni-konstanz.de/en/equalopportunities/family/dual-career/). A certificate of good conduct will be required prior to employment.