Ph.D./Doctoral Research Position in Cognitive Psychology
(part-time 50 %, E 13 TV-L)
Reference No.2021/273. The start date is March 1st, 2022 or by agreement. The position is available initially for three years.
The University of Konstanz is one of eleven Universities of Excellence in Germany. Since 2007 it has been successful in the German Excellence Initiative and its follow-up programme, the Excellence Strategy.
The Department of Psychology is one of the most research-active and successful psychology departments within German universities.
The position is available within the newly formed Group of Cognitive Psychology under the supervision of Prof. Dr. Bigna Lenggenhager. The overarching goal is to study the role of body-brain interactions, and the sense of the body in cognitive and affective processes. The research has a strong interdisciplinary focus at the intersection of psychology, neuroscience and technology. This specific PhD project will focus on using virtual and augmented reality techniques in order to investigate how alterations in the bodily self might affect perception and cognition, e.g., social cognition. We are thus looking for someone with a strong interest in the development and application of virtual reality paradigms used to tackle psychological research questions. The working language is English.
- Conducting research within the outlined framework using virtual reality
- Contributing to the teaching and supervision of students
- Presenting research findings at workshops and conferences
- Publishing in peer-reviewed and international journals
- Writing a cumulative PhD thesis
- Curious and highly motivated
- Master’s degree in psychology, neuroscience, computer science, or a related field
- Very good statistical, data analysis, and programming skills (e.g., R, Python, Matlab)
- VR programming skills or a strong interest to acquire them
- Strong written and oral communications skills are required in English; German knowledge of advantage
- A supportive, collaborative, and interdisciplinary research team
- Open and transparent science
- Close supervision to promote career development
- Exciting and relevant research topics
- Opportunities to actively shape projects and pursue own ideas
- Access to state-of-the-art methods
- Technical support
- Renumeration according to the pay group E 13TV-L
For more information, please contact Prof. Dr. Bigna Lenggenhager via e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
We look forward to receiving your application with the usual documents (a motivation letter, CV, copies of degree certificates, names of two references) until December 15th 2021 via our Online Application Portal.
The University of Konstanz is committed to ensuring an environment that provides equal opportunities and promotes diversity as well as a good balance between university and family life. As an equal opportunity employer, we strive to increase the number of women working in research and teaching. We also support working couples through our dual career programme (https://www.uni-konstanz.de/en/equalopportunities/family/dual-career/). Persons with disabilities are explicitly encouraged to apply. They will be given preference if appropriately qualified (contact + 49 7531 88–4016).