PhD Position in the Philosophy of Mind (f/m/d)
Department of Philosophy, University of Konstanz
(Part-time position (50%) E 13 TV-L)
Reference number 2020/001
Start date: 1st April 2020 or as soon as possible thereafter; the position is available for three years.
The successful applicant will be expected to produce a PhD thesis in the Philosophy of Mind (broadly construed) during his/her tenure of this position; as researchers they will be part of a new research group ('Mind, Value and Action') in our department, which aims to explore issues at the intersections between the Philosophy of Mind, Value Theory and the Phi-losophy of Action. Our working language is English; relevant PhD theses might be written in either English or German.
The University of Konstanz has been successful in the German Excellence Initiative and Excellence Strategy since 2007
- to write, and to complete, a PhD thesis in the Philosophy of Mind;
- to teach one course per semester; (the teaching load for one such course consists of *one* seminar meeting of 90 minutes per week)
- to play an active part in departmental research activities, especially in the context of the department's new research cluster in the Philosophy of Mind, Value and Action
- a very good MA (or equivalent) in Philosophy
- clear (ideally: proven) research interests in the Philosophy of Mind
- fluency in English (both written and spoken)
- at least basic skills in German, and (if appropriate) readiness to acquire good working knowledge of German during the first year
- a philosophically stimulating and supportive work environment
- generous academic resources (office space, well-funded library, financial support for conference participation)
- the opportunity to play an active part in building a new research centre
- an exceptionally beautiful geographical location, with the University overlooking Lake Constance
Questions can be directed to Prof. Dr. Dorothea Debus via e-mail: email@example.com .
We look forward to receiving your application, consisting of a cover letter briefly explaining why you are interested in the advertised position, an academic CV together with the names and contact details of two academic referees, a proposal for your planned PhD thesis of no more than 500 words, and a writing sample of no more than 4,000 words, by 31.1.2020 via our Online application portal.
The University of Konstanz is committed to ensuring an environment that provides equal opportunities and promotes diversity as well as a good balance between university and family life.
As an equal opportunity employer, we strive to increase the number of women working in the field advertised (https://www.uni-konstanz.de/en/equalopportunities/equal-opportunity/). Persons with disabilities are explicitly encouraged to apply. They will be given preference if appropriately qualified (contact + 49 7531 88–4016).