Postdoctoral researcher position in algal physiology/genomics/molecular biology
(Full-time, E 13 TV-L)
Reference number: 2023/246. The start date is for the next possible date or by arrangement. The position is available for up to five years. In principle, this position can be divided into two part-time positions.
The University of Konstanz is one of eleven Universities of Excellence in Germany. Since 2007 it has been successful in the German Excellence Initiative and its follow-up programme, the Excellence Strategy.
The Kroth lab is studying different aspects of diatoms focusing on metabolism, photoreceptors, and genetic modification of diatoms, as well as the interaction of diatoms with bacteria. We are seeking a postdoc with a background in algal physiology and molecular biology with a focus on diatom model systems. He/She should show enthusiasm for tackling biological questions by studying molecular aspects of diatoms regarding their physiology, biochemistry/metabolism, cell biology, or evolution. The researcher will be based in the group of Prof. Peter Kroth at the Department of Biology and is expected to support the group in teaching/supervision of students, as well as lab management. The position is intended as a qualification step for young postdocs to build their own independent academic career by creating their own projects and generating their own project funding, all in collaboration with the existing projects of the group.
- Studying diatom biology on the molecular level by developing projects based on molecular approaches
- Write and publish scientific manuscripts and present at conferences
- Support the Kroth lab with teaching as well as lab management
- Collaborate with an international research team
- Actively engage with and contribute to our scientific community
- Strong interest in molecular biology of algae
- Knowledge on molecular approaches like genetic transformation, analysis of mutant lines, developing molecular strategies.
- Interest in bioinformatic analyses Independence and ability to proactively move projects forward
- Good oral and written communication in English
- Ability to work in a team
- An interdisciplinary, international, collaborative, and friendly working environment
- A lab setting that, together with the existing facilities at the department, allows you to develop your research program
- Mentorship and support for career development
Questions can be directed to Prof. Dr. Peter Kroth via e-mail: Peter.Kroth@uni-konstanz.de or by phone: + 49 (0)7531 / 88 -4816.
We look forward to receiving your application with the usual documents until 08.10.2023 via our Online Application Portal.
The University of Konstanz is committed to ensuring an environment that provides equal opportunities and promotes diversity as well as a good balance between university and family life. As an equal opportunity employer, we strive to increase the number of women working in research and teaching. We also support working couples through our dual career programme. Persons with disabilities are explicitly encouraged to apply. They will be given preference if appropriately qualified (contact firstname.lastname@example.org, + 49 7531 88-4016).