Doctoral Position in Computer Science (f/m/d)
(full-time, E 13 TV-L)
Reference Number 2020/166. The start date is April 1st, 2021 or earlier by agreement. The position is initially
available for three years. In principle, this position can be divided into two part-time positions.
The University of Konstanz is one of eleven Universities of Excellence in Germany. Since 2007 it has been successful in the German Excellence Initiative and its follow-up programme, the Excellence Strategy.
The position is part of the research project “GraphQueryML: Using Machine Learning to Optimize Queries in Graph Data bases”, which is jointly funded by the Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft (DFG) and the Swiss National Science Foundation (SNSF). The successful applicant will join the Database and Information Systems research group (https://dbis.uni-konstanz.de) at the University of Konstanz and will collaborate with project partners at Zurich University of Applied Sciences and ETH Zurich. The working language is English.
In the Database and Information Systems research group at the University of Konstanz, we develop novel graph database systems. In particular, we design algorithms and data structures to scale the management and processing of complex data sets. The GraphQueryML project will explore the new opportunities presented by machine learning and study its applications to query optimization within graph database systems. As a member of our team, you will have the opportunity to contribute to state-of-the-art research and interact with the global research community.
- Research in the field of databases and information systems with a special focus on query optimization
- Problem solving through creative and innovative thinking
- Communicating your results by publishing research papers at top-level venues
- Supervising students who contribute to your work
- Strong written and oral communications skills in English are required
- You possess a scientific graduate degree (MSc or equivalent) in Computer Science with excellent grades
- Experience in the area of database systems and machine learning
- Strong motivation and determination
- Very good interpersonal and leadership skills
- Excellent development opportunities, extensive training and mentoring
- Attractive remuneration package
- Full funding for international and German students
- A professional infrastructure and a stimulating environment for research
- International collaborations and exchange research visits
Questions can be directed to Prof. Dr. Michael Grossniklaus via E-Mail email@example.com.
We look forward to receiving your application, consisting of a cover letter, curriculum vitæ, copies of degrees, and, if applicable, list of publication, until November 1st 2020 via our Online Application Portal.
The University of Konstanz is committed to ensuring an environment that provides equal opportunities and promotes diversity as well as a good balance between university and family life.
As an equal opportunity employer, we strive to increase the number of women working in the field advertised (https://www.uni-konstanz.de/en/equalopportunities/equal-opportunity/). Persons with disabilities are explicitly encouraged to apply. They will be given preference if appropriately qualified (contact + 49 7531 88–4016).