Postdoctoral Researcher in Human-Computer Interaction
(full-time, E 13 TV-L)
Reference No: 2022/308. The start date is April 1st, 2023 or later by agreement. The position is available initially for 2 years, with option for a 2-year extension, and is paid according to the collective agreement TV-L 13.
Join the Human Computer Interaction (HCI) group at the University of Konstanz for an opportunity to research future interaction paradigms for Mixed Reality, collaborate with excellent researchers around the world, and expand your teaching profile. The University of Konstanz is one of eleven Universities of Excellence in Germany and has successfully pursued this Excellence Strategy since 2007. We actively contribute to this strategy as members of the Centre for the Advanced Study of Collective Behavior and the SFB-TRR 161.
We work toward improving interaction with immersive technologies through novel user interfaces and interaction techniques by studying human perceptual processing, behavior, and experience. The advertised postdoc position is funded in equal amounts by the University of Konstanz and the “Hector Stiftung”, which allows for unique academic freedom. Hence, this research project can be freely defined to cover fundamental or applied research questions of HCI with focus on mixed reality technologies (AR, VR and all in-between).
We are looking for a candidate who is inherently curious and strongly self-driven, who can work independently, but also enjoys team work and collaboration. The working language is English.
- Independently explore HCI topics related to immersive technologies
- Lead or cooperate on funding applications and research projects
- Co-advise doctoral researchers
- Coordinate the development and evaluation of interactive systems
- Disseminate research results at top-level international venues through publications and presentations
- Assist in teaching and supervision at the Dept. of Computer Science
- Actively participate in activities in our research group and department
- Solid background in Computer Science, or equivalent, with respective graduate degree
- Good knowledge of HCI-related concepts (e.g., user-centered design and evaluation)
- An avid interest in interactive Mixed Reality technologies (VR, AR, etc.)
- Excellent English language skills in speech and writing
Experience in the following is optional but beneficial:
- mixed reality system development
- statistical data analysis
What We Offer
- Be part of a highly motivated, supportive and ambitious team
- Expand your knowledge and skills in a dynamic and international research environment with excellent lab infrastructure
- Shape the future of Mixed Reality applications with interaction paradigms that promote good usability and positive user experience
- Participate in international collabo-rations, go on research visits and travel to top HCI conferences
- Coaching for development of leadership and didactic skills
Important: Candidates with only a partial match to the competencies listed above but otherwise outstanding academic record are expressly encouraged to apply!
Applications and questions should be directed to Assistant Prof. Dr. Tiare Feuchtner via e-mail: email@example.com.
We look forward to receiving your application until 15.02.2023 (AoE, i.e., 23:59 UTC-12) via our Online Application Portal.
Please include the following materials:
• Application letter / motivation
• Curriculum vitae including publication record
• Research plan and teaching portfolio
• PhD certificate (or confirmation of submitted thesis / near-completion of doctoral program)
• Certificates of relevant graduate and undergraduate studies (Master, Bachelor), with indicated GPA
• At least 2 references
The charming city of Konstanz is perfectly located at the beautiful Lake of Constance (Bodensee), right at the border to Switzerland. Surrounded by glorious nature and in close proximity to the Swiss and Austrian alps, it offers lots of opportunities for leisure activities like hiking, biking, sailing, and skiing. Larger metropolitan areas like Zurich and Stuttgart are well-connected by public transport.
The University of Konstanz is committed to ensuring an environment that provides equal opportunities and promotes diversity as well as a good balance between university and family life.
As an equal opportunity employer, we strive to increase the number of women working in research and teaching. We also support working couples through our dual career programme (https://www.uni-konstanz.de/en/equalopportunities/family/dual-career/). They will be given preference if appropriately qualified (contact firstname.lastname@example.org, + 49 7531 88-4016).