Doctoral Position in Computer Science
(full-time, E 13 TV-L)
Reference Number 2022/270. The start date is February 1st, 2023 (or later or by mutual agreement) and fixed-term until December 31, 2025. In principle this position can be divided into two part-time positions.
The University of Konstanz is one of eleven Universities of Excellence in Germany. Since 2007 it has been successful in the German Excellence Initiative and its follow-up programme, the Excellence Strategy.
The position is supporting research centred around the Foundations of Machine Learning with a focus towards Inverse Reinforcement Learning and Imitation Learning. This position is supported by the Cluster of Excellence “Centre for the Advanced Study of Collective Behaviour” (CASCB) at the University of Konstanz. Within the CASCB there is the opportunity to collaborate and interact with excellent researchers from various disciplines in a truly interdisciplinary environment.
The successful applicant will join the research group on Machine Leaning at the University of Konstanz (https://www.mlo.uni-konstanz.de/) and will have the opportunity to collaborate with international researchers and uni-versities around the world. The working language is English.
In the Machine Learning research group at the University of Konstanz, we study the mathematical foundations of machine learning and data-driven decision-making problems in uncertain and dynamic environments subject to information and complexity constraints. Our group is equally interested in developing novel theory, as well as practical algorithms and tools. Outstanding people with only a partial match to these topics are encouraged to apply. As a member of our team, you will have the opportunity to contribute to state-of-the-art research and interact with the global research community.
- Research on machine learning, reinforcement learning, and data driven optimization
- Problem solving through creative and innovative thinking
- Communicating your results by publishing research papers at top-level venues (conferences and journals)
- Supervising students who contribute to your work
- Scientific graduate degree (MSc or equivalent) with excellent grades in Computer Science, Mathematics, Electrical Engineering, Economics or closely related field
- Background in either machine learning, statistics, control, operations research, information theory, or related fields
- Strong written and oral communication skills in English are required
- Strong motivation and determination
- Excellent development opportunities, extensive training and mentoring
- Attractive remuneration package
- Full funding for international and German students
- A professional infrastructure and a stimulating environment for research
- International collaborations and exchange research visits
- Opportunity to attend international conferences and workshops
Questions can be directed to Prof. Tobias Sutter via e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
We look forward to receiving your application, consisting of a cover letter, list of references, curriculum vitae, copies of degrees, and, if applicable, list of publication, until January 1st, 2023 via our Online Application Portal.
The University of Konstanz is committed to ensuring an environment that provides equal opportunities and promotes diversity as well as a good balance between university and family life. As an equal opportunity employer, we strive to increase the number of women working in research and teaching. We also support working couples through our dual career programme (https://www.uni-konstanz.de/en/equalopportunities/family/dual-career/). Persons with disabilities are explicitly encouraged to apply. They will be given preference if appropriately qualified (contact + 49 7531 88–4016).