PhD position in POEMA (f/m/d)
(full-time, payment by the Marie Sklodowska-Curie program)
Refrence No: 2021/143. The start date is August 1st, 2021. The position is available initially for 17 months.
The University of Konstanz is one of eleven Universities of Excellence in Germany. Since 2007 it has been successful in the German Excellence Initiative and its follow-up programme, the Excellence Strategy.
The position is available as part of a project studying polynomial optimization problems with symmetry. For more details and description of the scientific context, please visit http://poema-network.eu. This position is funded by the Marie Curie program of EU through the innovative training network (ITN) POEMA on polynomial optimization. The PhD candidate will be hosted by the Real Algebra and Geometry group in the Mathematics and Statistics Department of Konstanz University.
- To commit adequate time and effort to the project to the research topics of the Marie Skłodowska-Curie Innovative Training Network POEMA
- To demonstrate a high level of commitment and personal initiative, also in identifying and resolving of problems
- To take the responsibility for the conduct and progress of the research
- To fulfil tasks required by the supervisors as part of the project, and to
exchange regularly with the
- To write the thesis and, where appropriate to present seminars, to attend and present papers at conferences and publish sections of the work under the guidance of the supervisors
- Hold a Master’s degree in Mathematics, Computer Science, Engineering, or an equivalent diploma (at the date of recruitment)
- A solid background in at least one of either algebra, (real) algebraic
geometry or optimization, good programming skills are also a plus
- Ability to communicate fluently in English (speaking and writing), language skills in German are not required
- Less than 4 years of a research career, and not have a doctoral degree
- Not have resided in the country where the research training takes place for more than 12 months in the 3 years immediately prior to recruitment, not have carried out main activity in that country
- Strong expertise in real algebraic geometry and its applications to optimization, in particular moment problems
- Competitive gross salary by Marie Sklodowska-Curie program (adjusted for the host country), a Mobility Allowance of 600 €/month and, for researchers who have a family, a Family Allowance of 500 €/month
Questions can be directed to Prof. Dr. Claus Scheiderer via e-mail: email@example.com.
Please send your application before 30.06.2021 to POEMA Administrative Manager Linh Nguyen (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Please visit http://poema-network.eu to find out which documents are required for the application.
The University of Konstanz is committed to ensuring an environment that provides equal opportunities and promotes diversity as well as a good balance between university and family life.
As an equal opportunity employer, we strive to increase the number of women working in the field advertised (https://www.uni-konstanz.de/en/equalopportunities/equal-opportunity/). Persons with disabilities are explicitly encouraged to apply. They will be given preference if appropriately qualified (contact + 49 7531 88–4016).