Postdoctoral Position in Computer Vision in the “Center for Image Analysis in the Social Sciences” (CIASS) (f/m/d)
(full-time, E 13 TV-L)
Reference number 2021/073. The position starts on September 1, 2021 or by agreement, and is available initially for two years.
The University of Konstanz is one of eleven Universities of Excellence in Germany. Since 2007, it has been successful in the German Excellence Initiative and its follow-up programme, the Excellence Strategy.
The CIASS is funded by the Dr. K. H. Eberle Foundation and conducts research at the intersection of computer science and the social sciences. Initial projects include the analysis of political protest with image data, and the use of visual material for the mobilization of ethnic groups. The Center is jointly run be the research groups of Profs. Nils Weidmann (political science) and Bastian Goldlücke (computer science). The working language is English.
- Establish and coordinate a new interdisciplinary lab at the intersection of computer science and the social sciences
- Develop and adapt computer vision approaches for applications in the social sciences
- Establish the Center’s infrastructure for computation and data storage
- Contribute to joint publications in collaboration with other members of the Center
- A doctoral degree in computer science, with a specialization in computer vision
- Experience in scientific collaboration and publication, preferably in interdisciplinary projects
- Excellent programming skills (for example, in Python) and experience in system administration
- A strong interest in applied research in the social sciences
- An exciting research group with leading scholars in different fields and a track record in interdisciplinary collaboration
- A work environment at the intersection of two Clusters of Excellence (“The Politics of Inequality” and the “Centre for the Advanced Study of Collective Behaviour”)
- The opportunity to gain experience in the analysis of social science data
Questions can be directed to Prof. Dr. Nils B. Weidmann via e-mail: email@example.com.
Please submit your application (motivation letter, CV, publication list, certificates, and contact details of two references) in one single pdf file until May 1, 2021 via our Online Application Portal. We will start reviewing applications after this date until the position is filled.
The University of Konstanz is committed to ensuring an environment that provides equal opportunities and promotes diversity as well as a good balance between university and family life. In principle, this position can be divided into two part-time positions. As an equal opportunity employer, we strive to increase the number of women working in research and teaching. We also support working couples through our dual career programme (https://www.uni-konstanz.de/en/equalopportunities/family/dual-career/). Persons with disabilities are explicitly encouraged to apply. They will be given preference if appropriately qualified (contact + 49 7531 88-4016).